What is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is a philosophy of care and services promoting independence and dignity. Assisted Living is a long-term care option for individuals who require supervision or assistance with one or more Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). ADLs include, but are not limited to: bathing, dressing, grooming, meal preparation, eating, taking medication, walking, toileting, and continence management. Assisted living care can be provided in a large commercial facility or residential home environment. HuntLeigh Care Homes provides personalized assisted living care within three residential care homes in quiet, upscale Frisco neighborhoods. At HuntLeigh Care Homes, residents needs are assessed upon move-in, and any time there is a change in condition.
Changes in the following areas may indicate it is time to consider assisted living care:
- ADLs – difficulty performing daily activities such as dressing, bathing, cooking, housekeeping, laundry;
- Socialization – lack of socialization, isolation, depression, loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, loss of friends and loved ones;
- Memory – memory loss such as repeating questions and statements, wandering away from home, trusting strangers, falling for scams, forgetting to pay bills, leaving the stove on, frequently misplacing items;
- Medications – forgetting to take medications, taking more than prescribed;
- Fear – becoming paranoid or fearful of others, afraid to be alone;
- Safety – concerns such as stairs make it more likely to fall, no help nearby if fall or emergency occurs, difficulty getting in and out of tub or on and off of toilet
Don’t forget to also consider the costs associated with Assisted Living. We offer a guide to help you think about all of the things associated with Assisted Living Costs.